Friday, March 9, 2007

WEEK SIX - The Servant Mind

Jesus "made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant" ~ Phil. 2:7

1. What BLESSED you most this lesson?
What a beautiful lesson! I think more than anything, it really showed me that being a servant does not only consist of serving others. It really is to have Christ's servant mind in order to serve. Focusing once again on the virtues of Christ's example gave me a lovely picture of what it truly means to have a servant mind and heart.

I loved meditating on the following:
* Courage is a servant quality that demonstrates conviction.
* Christians are light for this world because the Light of the World dwells in us.

2. What CHALLENGED you most and how do you intend to apply it (with prayer and the help of the Holy Spirit)?
Humble - Why do I have such a hard time with pride?? The Lord always has to humble me in order for me to depend fully on Him. Dust-eating seems to be my current hobby lately. One thing that I always struggle with is not to seek recognition for my work. It's getting better in that I don't dig so deep for approval or affirmation especially when doing the Lord's work in BSF (ie lecture, seminar etc) but I see that I definitely seek recognition at home or among family and friends. It's sickening because I know that serving God in my family is my greatest privilege and yet I have such a hard time doing it humbly!

Willing - In this culture, we roll our eyes but nod approvingly at being strong-willed. I realize that being strong-willed is not godly, unless it is being truly God-willed. "The will of the Master must be the will of the servant, or the work will not get done."

3. Prayer requests and other comments.
There are days when I truly feel like I'm going to fall apart (like today!). This pregnancy has been really difficult especially with 3 young ones. Could you all just pray for me that I will be able to get through this period without checking myself into Anthony's hospital? Thanks!

In light of eternity, Jules

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. What BLESSED you most this lesson?
Going over how each of the servant’s characteristics opens the door for God to actively work in our lives was really encouraging. I was blessed to be taught that the more I serve and submit to who He wants me to be, the more He will work in my life to grow me, and the more He will work through my life to encourage and bless others. Also, realizing that we have the extreme privilege to serve and please the one true Master – God – is mind-blowing (and humbling)! Indeed, His service, His pleasure, and His will must be our one passion.

2. What CHALLENGED you most and how do you intend to apply it (with prayer and the help of the Holy Spirit)?
I’m always challenged when I am reminded of the fact that “we become servants not by what we do, but by what we are.” It is not what I do that makes me who I am, but rather, it is who I am that drives me to do the things I do. Sometimes, I get frustrated because I want to change myself for the better, but I fail over and over again. I foolishly think that I need to do most of the work in order to become closer to Christ; my spirit is willing to serve and give everything to God, yet my flesh is weak, and so I hold back or stumble, for some proud, selfish reason or another, from truly being one of His humble and devoted servants. I must pray for humility to accept the fact that it is not I who can change who I am, but rather it is He that transforms me into His image. I must increasingly trust that He is good, He is gracious, He is forgiving, and He is with me always, “even to the end of the age.”

3. Prayer requests and other comments.
Please pray that I would decrease and that He would increase, so that my transformation into Christlikeness would not be of my own proud ambition but of humble submission to His power.

Unknown said...

1. What BLESSED you most this lesson?
Just seeing that Christ served with His whole heart. He was the one who should have been served, yet He wasn’t for our sakes.

2. What CHALLENGED you most and how do you intend to apply it (with prayer and the help of the Holy Spirit)?
My prayer request recently has been to serve more at my church. Doing this lesson helped me to see what that entails. Some of the characteristics seem so hard! One of them was “able to teach” a thought that came up was, how am I going to be able to teach those younger than me if I don’t study the word enough or live my life as a godly example?

3. Prayer requests and other comments.
Sorry this post was so short! Please pray that I continue to meditate on God throughout the day.

sara said...

hi everyone :)
i have to confess that i didn't do the study last week, so i am a week behind. this week, i've been trying to double up each week. at the very least, i've been trying to do this weeks study so that i can post on time.
i'm asking for prayer, because you all know better than anyone how flaky and unfaithful i can be with these studies :( so we all know that i can't muster up the self control to get this done, but rather, the discipline to catch up and be faithful must be a fruit of the Spirit. please pray that the Spirit would work in me to bear fruits of faithfulness in this study, specifically. i am kind of desperate! i really don't want to fall behind again :(
thank you. :) i am keeping you all in my prayers, and do love you all dearly. i have been reading, and have been very encouraged and challenged by *your* faithfulness these last weeks.
onward!!